Vegan Chana Masala... Flavorful and spicy!
Updated: Mar 10, 2020
Chana masala is one of the most popular Indian dishes made with a tomato base and protein packed chickpeas. It’s full of flavor and spicy! Check out this simple, yet delicious recipe.
4 cloves of garlic
1 finely chopped onion
.5 inch of fresh ginger root
1 tbsp of sunflower oil
2, 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
2, 14 ounce cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp of sea salt
Fresh spinach or cilantro to garnish
1. Add garlic, onion, ginger and oil to large pot over medium heat until throughly browned. Stir frequently for approximately 6 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and spices to sautéed mixture in the large pot. Cook on medium-low with cover firmly on pot. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas. Continue to cook on medium-low heat with cover on pot. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
4. Lower heat to low for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Garnish with freshly chopped spinach or cilantro. Enjoy!
*Chana Masala is served great with a vegan or non-vegan whole wheat naan or basmati rice but for a healthier option Chana Masala can be served over steamed fresh vegetables, which is my pick any day of the week.
*Puree step 1 and 2 for a smoother sauce.